t : 01164 10 50 60 | m : 07974 807 111 | e : Info@amlidesign.co.uk
t : 01164 10 50 60 | m : 07974 807 111 | e : Info@amlidesign.co.uk


AMLI Design is a Accredited planning agent with Charnwood Borough Council and well known over many years to all the local planning departments. We are registered on the governments planning portal for quick submission of your applications.

What is planning permission?

Construction of new buildings and extensive changes to existing buildings usually requires consent from the local planning authority. This planning system is designed to control inappropriate development.

When do I need planning permission?

Anything that involves the creation of a new house, either by building from scratch or a subdivision, needs planning permission. Adding extensions or outbuildings requires planning permission depending on the size of the project and the level of Permitted Development (PD) rights afforded to or still remaining on a property.

What are Permitted Development Rights?

The concept of Permitted Development (PD) was introduced at the very beginning of our planning system – in the Town and Planning Act on 1st July 1948 – and allows for minor improvements, such as converting a loft or modest extensions to your home, to be undertaken without clogging up the planning system.

The level of work that can be carried out under PD depends on a variety of factors.

How much will an application cost?

For example a new house application will cost £482 in England. For improvements to existing houses £226 for an extension/renovation in England). For a certificate of proposed lawful development it is £123. There’s a fee calculator available on Planning Portal for any other applications you might make.

What's a Design and Access statement.

These statements have to accompany all planning applications besides householder building works in unprotected areas and changes of use. Statements are used to justify a proposal’s design concept and the access to it. The level of detail depends on the scale of the project and its sensitivity. Unless you ensure you have included one in your submission, planning authorities can refuse to register your planning application.

When will I hear back?

Your local planning authority (LPA) will first provide written receipt of your application. You should then receive a written approval or refusal within eight weeks of your application being made.

How long do I have to begin work?

Planning permission is typically granted for three years — meaning you must begin work in that time or face reapplying.

Can I alter my plans once Full permission has been granted?

You can make minor alterations by applying for a non-material amendment. However, major alterations could involve a further application for Full planning permission.

Certificate of lawful development

Even if your project does not need planning permission you can obtain a certificate that will prove that to anyone at any point in the future. It may be very useful if you come to sell your property later.


Please feel free to contact for free initial advice
Kenvale House
241 Birstall Road,
e : Info@amlidesign.co.uk
m : 07974 807 111
t : 01164 10 50 60
Designed and Built by 
Two Six Media
facebook-squarelinkedin-square linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram